728x90

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Japanese Test

What kind of Japanese language tests are there?
Here is some information about some Japanese Language exams. Even if you are not interested in taking the exam, the information may help you to measure your current language level and to help you pursue your goal.


================================================
Japanese Language Proficiency Test
================================================
This is the most famous test among Japanese-majored students and business people. The Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) has been offered by the Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (formerly Association of International Education, Japan) since 1984 as a reliable means of evaluating and certifying the Japanese proficiency of non-native speakers.

The JLPT is offered in five levels (N1, N2, N3, N4, N5). (The old test through 2009 was offered in four levels - Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4). twice yearly, in July and December. However, certain countries/areas will only offer the test in December and not in July. Please check in their website.


================================================
The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students
================================================
The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) is used to evaluate whether international students who wish to study at the undergraduate level at universities or other such higher educational institutions in Japan possess the Japanese language skills and the basic academic abilities needed to study at those institutions.

EJU takes the place of both the Japanese Language Proficiency Test and the General Examination for Foreign Students (no longer administered as of December 2001), which many universities (undergraduate level) and other higher educational institutions in Japan previously required international students to take for admission. Starting in 2002, EJU will be administered twice a year (June and November) in Japan and other countries and regions. For a list of examination sites, check in their website.

* Note that there are some universities that base their selection of international students mainly upon EJU scores.


================================================
J.TEST - Test of Practical Japanese
================================================
The J.Test of Practical Japanese was introduced in 1991 as a test for conducting objective measurement of the Japanese language proficiency of non-Japanese. Based on the broad-based incorporation of the hearing test, this method effectively gauges practical proficiency in Japanese. In gaining employment or entry to higher level schools in Japan, or for use of Japanese in the performance of practical work, advanced proficiency in the language is a must. By taking the J.Test of Practical Japanese, it is possible to comprehend your current level of proficiency, and then determine your next objective. It might be good to take the test several times to comprehend your current Japanese proficiency as well as further grasp the language. Each year in January, March, May, July, September and November, you can take.
*Test Level A-D (Intermediate to Advanced) *Test Level E-F (Beginners)


================================================
Japan Kanji Test (No English site available)
================================================
Although this test is mainly for native Japanese, you can also take this test if you like studying Kanji.
*Levels are 1-10.


Should I take a test?
I recommend that you take a test. There are two reasons for my advice.
First, having a concrete goal, like a test to study for, can be beneficial because it increases motivation.
Second, although I often hear people say things like "I just want to be able to speak Japanese and have no interest in tests," you can't have a conversation in Japanese without knowing the basic grammar and vocabulary. Studying for an exam can be an efficient way to learn that grammar and vocabulary, so studying to pass a given test can definitely be useful in developing conversational ability.
If you were to practice conversation without understanding grammar and vocabulary, there are many cases where students who are capable of imitating the teacher in a lesson can't carry on a real conversation very well. Although I understand that conversational lessons can be more fun, and that many students withdraw from grammar and vocabulary courses, try putting some serious effort into it based on the idea that you can't build a tall building on a weak foundation.

Let's listen to the opinion of some people who have actually taken the JLPT test.

I have included what Cory-san has to say about his experience passing the last JLPT test.

Q1 : Which level did you take?
A1 : I took JLPT Level 3 (Now equivalent to JLPT N4).

Q2 : Is it your first time to take the level?
A2 : This was my first attempt at Level 3. I (barely) passed Level 4 the previous year.

Q3 : Why did you take the JLPT?
A3 : I took the JLPT to give me something to work towards. I study much better when I have a definite goal to attain. Studying for the sake of learning a language doesn't motivate me as much as studying for an exam does.

Q4 : When did you start preparations for the JLPT?
A4 : I started preparations for JLPT 3 in August.

Q5 : After you started preparations for the JLPT,
(1) how many lessons(*) in a week did you take?
(2) how many hours in a week did you spent on your self study?
A5 :
(1) I took 1 lesson a week.
(2) My weekly study times were highly inconsistent; I would estimate I studied on average between 10-15 hours a week starting in mid-August.

Q6 : How have you been studying for the JLPT?
A6 : I studied for the examination in many ways:
To help me prepare for the kanji section I used a program on my iPhone called "Kanji Flip" and a textbook series called "1 nichi 15 hun no kanji renshu" by ALC. The Kanji Flip program is convenient to use in on-the-go situations (like on a train), but the examples it gives on how to use the kanji are sometimes useless or irrelevant. The ALC book has great example vocabulary and uses them in sentences. I ended up combining the information from these two sources by typing a 100-page binder of detailed notes on about 300 kanji.

To help me prepare for JLPT vocabulary, I took three tests from previous years. Every time I came across a word I didn't know (which happened quite often, unfortunately) I underlined the word. After I was finished with the test I would go back and write the words and the English definitions in a notebook. I spent many hours at coffee shops doing this...

Grammar has always been my weakest area of Japanese, so I signed up for J-OS lessons to help me learn proper Japanese grammar. I worked from the Genki II textbook and workbook and quickly crammed a semester's worth of Japanese grammar in about three months.

I didn't usually study specifically for listening because I live in Japan, so I hear Japanese every day. But one thing that helps me to improve my general listening skills is to watch Japanese TV with the Japanese subtitles turned on. I've found that often times my eyes will catch what my ears couldn't. (For example: tanosisou desu vs. tanoshii desu)

Finally, I ate tonkatsu the night before the exam for good luck. I'm not sure if that helped, but it was a good meal!

Q7 : Would you recommend taking (studying for) the JLPT to other Japanese learners?
A7 : I highly recommend studying for the JLPT. It's an internationally known test for Japanese proficiency. You also get a cool certificate if you pass (or a nice bookmark/coffee coaster/dartboard if you fail).

No comments:

Post a Comment

468X60